

Senator Pia Cayetano’s former companions refuted her claim that none from the minority bloc had asked after the majority senators’ welfare following the Senate shooting incident on May 13, according to a report by RH 28 Raymund Dadpaas.
Senator Erwin Tulfo said he had a copy of their group chat on WhatsApp, which shows that members of the minority bloc, previously the majority under Senator Vicente “Tito” Sotto III’s senate presidency, had actually checked on them.
Among the senators who expressed concern were Senators Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan, Benigno “Bam” Aquino IV, Sherwin “Win” Gatchalian.
Tulfo said he had sent his message at 9:57 p.m. Senator Camille Villar reportedly responded, “Thank you, we are all okay.”
Tulfo said he was surprised that Cayetano had apparently not read their messages. Emotional, she had recounted the fear she had felt during the incident, which Tulfo sympathized with.
However, Tulfo pushed back on claims that the minority senators left Senate premises early, as they knew there would be a shoot-out.
He claimed that while an all-member caucus was slated for Wednesday, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano said the caucus would be for majority members only, as they would be discussing the committee chairmanships.
Tulfo said the Senate should not let the shooting incident slide, and ensure that it is thoroughly investigated.
On Wednesday, Senator Pia Cayetano became emotional as she countered Senator Risa Hontiveros’ criticisms against the Senate’s apparent “return to normalcy” after the shooting incident.
“Wala akong sinisisi pero pagkatapos nang lahat, pagtingin ko ng group (chat) natin, ‘yung dating majority group, walang ni isang nangamusta sa amin. Some of you, I’ve known for 20 years, 10 years and I didn’t hear any one of you say, ‘Kumusta kayo diyan?’ Napakasakit sa akin. Sobrang sakit,” Senator Cayetano said.
