DZRH Logo
EDSA Shrine declared ‘no rally zone’ for 40th EDSA People Power anniversary
EDSA Shrine declared ‘no rally zone’ for 40th EDSA People Power anniversary
Metro Manila
EDSA Shrine declared ‘no rally zone’ for 40th EDSA People Power anniversary
by Thea Divina20 February 2026
Photo from EDSA Shrine / Facebook

The EDSA Shrine has been declared a “no rally zone” ahead of the 40th anniversary of the EDSA People Power Revolution on February 25, with the Quezon City local government denying rally permits to several groups, including supporters of former President Rodrigo Duterte and militant organization Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN).

According to a report by Val Gonzales, Authorities said only the Trillion Peso March group, organized by the camp of Kiko Aquino Dee, was granted a permit to hold a demonstration at the People Power Monument on the day of the anniversary.

The announcement was made by retired General Elmo San Diego of the Quezon City government and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Traffic Enforcement Group head Atty. Victor Nuñez following inter-agency preparations for the planned rallies on Wednesday.

San Diego said all other applications, including those from BAYAN and other militant organizations, as well as Duterte supporters, were denied permits to conduct protest actions at the People Power Monument.

According to San Diego, the decision came after a series of consultations with concerned agencies.

“Inaassess naming mabuti kasi nga parang, pag gusto mo bumagsak ang gobyerno, bakit kita bibigyan ng permit? Obvious naman yon. Parang hindi naman tama yan. At hindi papayag ang QCPD na ang direksyon ng rally nyo ay sort of saying seditious,” San Diego said.

“Definitely hindi bibigyan ng permit yan kasi ang assessment ng QCPD di tama at delikado. Kaya nga yung ibang grupo na may record na at may nakulong na, never na bibigyan ng permit yan,” he added.

Meanwhile, rally organizers led by Dee said their program will formally begin at 3 p.m. at the People Power Monument. A Mass is also scheduled at 5:30 p.m. at the EDSA Shrine, followed by a concert in the evening as part of their protest against alleged large-scale government corruption and to call for accountability from those involved.

Earlier in the day, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority conducted an inspection and walkthrough at the EDSA Shrine and People Power Monument, led by MMDA General Manager Nicolas Torre III along with officials from the Quezon City Police District and the Quezon City local government.

The Philippine National Police estimates that around 30,000 to 50,000 protesters are expected to participate in activities commemorating the historic 1986 uprising.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read