

The Cabagan–Sta. Maria Bridge in Isabela has reopened to light vehicles after the installation of a temporary steel bridge connector, nearly a year after a span collapsed due to overloading. Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon personally inspected the structure and announced that it will undergo a two-week test period to assess its structural integrity and safety for motorists.
The bridge partially gave way on February 27, 2025, after a truck reportedly carrying oversized loads of rocks caused one span to collapse.
Since then, residents and motorists traveling between Cabagan and Sta. Maria was forced to use boats to cross the Cagayan River, especially when water levels were high.
For now, only light vehicles weighing up to three tons are allowed to pass through a one-lane open section of the bridge.
Local government units of Cabagan and Sta. Maria, in coordination with the Philippine National Police and the district engineering office, is strictly monitoring traffic to ensure compliance with load limits.
Dizon said the reopening follows the directive of Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to fast-track a temporary solution while work on a permanent bridge structure begins.
“Inutusan po tayo ni Pangulo na maghanap muna ng temporary na solusyon… Ngayon, magagamit na ito,” Dizon said, noting the project was completed in less than two months.
The DPWH assured the public that construction of the permanent bridge component will start soon, designed to accommodate heavier vehicles and prevent a repeat of last year’s collapse, restoring safer and more reliable connectivity across the province.
