

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on Friday morning has extended its condolences to the family of former Public Works Undersecretary Maria Catalina Cabral following confirmation of her death by Benguet police authorities.
In a statement, the DPWH said it is mourning the loss of Cabral, who served the department for more than four decades.
“Undersecretary Cabral served the Department for more than 40 years, and her loss will be mourned throughout the organization," the agency said.
Cabral was declared dead at around 12:03 a.m. after she was reportedly found along the Bued River near Kennon Road in Tuba, Benguet on Thursday night.
According to the Benguet Provincial Police Office, she was discovered “unconscious and unresponsive” after hours of searching conducted by her driver and responding authorities.
Police said Cabral was found on the riverbank, an estimated 2 to 30 feet below Kennon Road. The Benguet Provincial Police Office is currently investigating the circumstances surrounding her death.
The DPWH also appealed to the public to respect the family’s privacy as they grieve. “We recognize the profound loss the family is facing and offer our sincerest prayers,” the department said. “We thank you for your compassion and understanding.”
Cabral had earlier resigned from her post as undersecretary and was previously linked to alleged anomalies involving flood control projects.
She had been subpoenaed in connection with an investigation being conducted by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, but as of Monday, she had not confirmed whether she would attend the scheduled hearing of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI).
Earlier, former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo claimed that Cabral had been responsible for setting the budget ceiling for the department’s allocable funds under the National Expenditure Program each year.
