DZRH Logo
DPWH assures Cordillera of resources as infrastructure damage tops ₱3 billion
DPWH assures Cordillera of resources as infrastructure damage tops ₱3 billion
Province
DPWH assures Cordillera of resources as infrastructure damage tops ₱3 billion
by Thea Divina22 August 2026
FILE PHOTO

Infrastructure damage in the Cordillera Administrative Region caused by weeks of heavy rains, storms and the southwest monsoon has reached more than ₱3 billion and is expected to increase further, Public Works and Highways Secretary Vince Dizon said.

According to a report by RH Romy Gonzales, Dizon assured Cordillera officials that the region would receive the resources needed for recovery and rehabilitation following the extensive damage.

During a meeting with Cordillera leaders and the Regional Development Council in Baguio City, Dizon said President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had instructed him to provide the necessary assistance and resources to areas affected by the calamities.

Dizon also said the running total of infrastructure damage in the region had already reached ₱3 billion and would likely rise as assessments continue.

He inspected Friday, Aug. 21, a collapsed section of the Benguet-Nueva Vizcaya Road in Barangay Beckel, La Trinidad, Benguet. The road section initially collapsed in November 2025 during Typhoon Uwan and was further destroyed during Typhoon Maymay on Aug. 9, 2026.

A 13-year-old girl reportedly fell into the damaged portion of the road, highlighting the need to immediately secure and rehabilitate the area.

The road rehabilitation project has an initial allocation of ₱75 million, with an additional ₱20 million planned to strengthen the structure. Completion is expected within 10 months.

Dizon also inspected a partially damaged rock net along the Dangwa National Road in Benguet. The Japanese-engineered system had protected the road from falling rocks, but large rockslides damaged the structure and resulted in the temporary closure of the road section.

The Department of Public Works and Highways plans to repair the rock net and replace damaged portions with new materials from Japan. The work is expected to take three to four months and will cost about ₱13 million.

Dizon also visited a strawberry farm that has experienced recurring flooding for more than two years, particularly during periods of heavy rain and storms.

Proposed measures include clearing clogged waterways, improving drainage and dredging to improve water flow. Floodgates are also being considered to prevent backflow toward the strawberry farms.

A mobile farm is planned for September as part of efforts to support affected farmers.

Meanwhile, a section of Kennon Road is set to reopen Saturday, Aug. 22, providing motorists with an alternative route and helping ease traffic along Marcos Highway, which has carried heavier traffic during the historic road's closure in recent weeks.

The government is expected to continue prioritizing the repair and rehabilitation of damaged infrastructure in the Cordillera as the region recovers from prolonged rains and severe weather.

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read