

Department of Transportation (DOTr) Acting Secretary Giovanni Lopez on Monday has ordered the closure of a vacant lot in Pasay City being used as an unauthorized bus terminal and directed the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to impound the buses and revoke the operator’s franchise.
According to the report of Jecelle Ricafort in DZRH's Damdaming Bayan, the order comes after authorities discovered that the terminal, previously shut down by former DOTr Secretary and now Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon for operating illegally, had resumed operations.
“Tumigil sila kasi there was report also na parang sinara nila. But, siguro undas. Nagbabakasakali sila. Pero ganun e, mas delikado nga dahil undas. Dagsaan ang mga pasahero,” Lopez explained.
According to Lopez, the terminal services routes bound for Bicol and Leyte.
When asked whether the vehicles and the operator’s license would both be affected, Lopez replied, “Show cause nila. Pero paparevoke ko ito tapos ipapa-impound ko.”
The DOTr chief also said that the terminal will again be physically closed off.
“The only way for us to monitor it is to coordinate with the barangay also. Kasi hindi naman namin pwedeng araw-araw na i-monitor. But I will ask SAIC if they can deploy some personnel here. Para makita lang po,” he noted.
According to Lopez, the buses using the facility are now considered colorum or unauthorized public utility vehicles. He said the buses found parked on-site have been impounded, while affected passengers are being assisted by the DOTr.
Lopez also instructed the operator to refund the fares paid by passengers. In the meantime, the DOTr will shoulder the cost of new tickets so that the stranded passengers can continue their trips with legitimate bus companies.
“Ipaparefund natin, pero ngayon alam ko na yung mga naabutan natin pasahero doon, they have to leave in a while. So sinabi natin na ihahatid na din natin, I mean doon sa terminal na gusto nila. At yung pamasahe nila, while waiting for the refund, sasagutin na po muna nila.” he stated.
Lopez has ordered an investigation into whether the company holds a legitimate franchise and if it has committed overcharging violations.
"Whether it's a garage for them, pero kakasabi lang po na ngayon lang daw po nila ginamit, whether it's a garage. Kasi po kahit garahe ito, kailangan mag-submit at mag-sabi kayo sa LTFRB na this terminal or this place is considered as a garage" he added.
