

The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday sought to reassure the public amid reports of Nipah virus cases abroad.
In an interview on MBC Network News, DOH spokesperson Assistant Secretary Albert Domingo said the country had already experienced cases of the Nipah virus about 10 years ago, which were quickly contained.
Domingo said the only confirmed Nipah virus cases in 2014 were reported mainly in Sultan Kudarat and nearby areas in Mindanao and were eventually resolved.
He also debunked reports claiming possible lockdowns and flight restrictions, stressing that the Nipah virus is not airborne and is primarily transmitted from animals to humans.
“Hindi po natin dapat hinahabol ang mga headline. Hindi rin dapat hinahabol ang bawat usong balita dahil mas nakakatakot po ang virus ng misinformation at kaba,” Domingo said.
The DOH spokesperson also noted that Filipinos do not usually consume meat that has not passed inspection by the National Meat Inspection Service.
“Importante pong makinig tayo sa tamang impormasyon dahil ang transmission ng Nipah virus ay hindi airborne,” he added.
Domingo urged the public to rely on official advisories from health authorities and credible local media for accurate information on the Nipah virus.
According to health experts, Nipah virus infection can range from mild to severe, with symptoms usually appearing 5 to 14 days after exposure. Early signs include fever, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, and fatigue.
Some patients may also experience respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing. In more severe cases, the virus can cause confusion, drowsiness, and encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), which may lead to seizures, coma, or even death.
There is currently no specific cure or vaccine, therefore treatment focuses on supportive care and managing complications.
Recently, a Nipah virus outbreak has been reported in West Bengal, India, with multiple infections confirmed in healthcare workers in recent weeks. About nearly 100 people have been asked to quarantine, and some infected patients are in serious condition.
India’s health authorities have reported two confirmed cases and are monitoring dozens of close contacts, though some outlets report as many as five cases linked to a cluster.
