DZRH Logo
DICT engages major social media platforms to curb harmful content online
DICT engages major social media platforms to curb harmful content online
Science and Tech
DICT engages major social media platforms to curb harmful content online
by Thea Divina28 February 2026
Photos from DICT, Canva

The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is intensifying efforts to safeguard cybersecurity and promote a safe online environment, especially for children, according to DICT Undersecretary for Special Concerns Faye De Sagon.

Speaking on the program Special on Saturday (SOS), De Sagon highlighted the role of the Cybercrime Investigation Coordinating Council (CICC), an attached agency of the DICT.

The CICC, headed by CICC Usec. Renato “Aboy” Paraiso allows the public to report online abuses, including scams, fake accounts, and deepfake content. Citizens can reach the CICC via text at 1326 or email at [email protected]

De Sagon also emphasized the agency’s “good vibes” internet initiative, launched by Secretary Henry Aguda last year, which aims to maintain a clean and safe online space.

“Ang gusto po natin kasi ay isang malinis na online space, safe for everyone, especially for our children,” she said, noting that Filipinos spend at least 8 to 9 hours of their lives online.

To address such issues, the DICT has engaged with major social media platforms, including Meta, Google (YouTube), and TikTok. The companies have committed to removing harmful content from their platforms, although De Sagon said formal agreements are still in progress.

De Sagon also noted the rising role of artificial intelligence (AI) in shaping online interactions, stressing that children’s exposure to AI tools makes a clean and positive internet more urgent.

“Kung mababait tayo online, mabait din si A.I. Kung mga salbahe tayo online, magiging salbahe si A.I. Diba?” she said, emphasizing that artificial intelligence learns from how netizens interact on digital platforms.

Earlier this week, Secretary Aguda had previously told DZRH that the DICT was planning to ban the messaging app Telegram in the Philippines due to rising cases of illegal gambling, pornography, and other malicious content.

However, on Friday, February 27, the agency announced that the ban would not push through after reaching an agreement with the company to strengthen efforts against illegal online activities.

Undersecretary De Sagon added that this initiative is part of a broader advocacy led by Secretary Aguda, who is particularly concerned about the impact of AI on children, including his own daughters.

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read