

Department of Education (DepEd) Undersecretary Trygve Olaivar on Thursday denied allegations linking him to alleged kickbacks from anomalous flood control projects under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
"I deny the allegations made and want to state clearly that I welcome any investigation regarding this matter,” Olaivar said in a statement.
“To allow a fair inquiry, I will voluntarily take a leave of absence from my post and am ready to fully cooperate with any and all proceedings,” he added.
Olaivar’s name surfaced during the continuation of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee’s investigation into questionable DPWH flood control projects.
In his sworn affidavit, former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo named Olaivar, along with several senators and congressmen whom he alleged benefited from and received kickbacks tied to government infrastructure projects.
Bernado alleged that sometime in 2024, Olaivar, who previously worked for then-senators Ramon "Bong" Revilla, the late Edgardo Angara and Sonny Angara, was among those involved in facilitating the release of billions worth of “unprogrammed appropriations" for the Office of the Executive Secretary.
“In the said meeting, he requested me to submit a list of projects,” Bernardo testified.
He then later submitted the lists of 'Annex B' projects worth ₱2.85 billion.
According to Bernardo, Olaivar allegedly remarked, “Boss, kinse ‘yan,” referring to a supposed 15% commission, allegedly for Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, from ₱2.85 billion worth of infrastructure projects.
Bernardo further alleged that dismissed DPWH Bulacan 1st District Engineer Henry Alcantara acted as collector of the “commitments,” which were purportedly delivered to Olaivar in Makati and other locations.
Education Secretary Sonny Angara confirmed Olaivar’s decision, saying: “Usec. Olaivar has informed me he will be taking a leave from DepEd.”
"DepEd remains firmly focused on its foremost duty: delivering quality education to every Filipino learner. That mission continues to guide all that we do," he said in a separate statement.
The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, chaired by Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo "Ping" Lacson, is investigating allegations that several lawmakers and officials benefited from kickbacks tied to flood control projects.
Olaivar maintained his innocence, stressing that he is prepared to face scrutiny to clear his name.
