DZRH Logo
DA ready to impose price freeze after Typhoon Tino's onslaught
DA ready to impose price freeze after Typhoon Tino's onslaught
Nation
DA ready to impose price freeze after Typhoon Tino's onslaught
by Luwela Amor06 November 2025
Photo courtesy: Edwin Duque/DZRH News

The Department of Agriculture (DA) is ready to impose a price freeze on selected agricultural commodities following President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s declaration of a state of national calamity due to the widespread destruction caused by Typhoon Tino and the looming threat of Typhoon Uwan.

Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said the price freeze will initially focus on provinces severely affected by Typhoon Tino, though Metro Manila may also be included if the supply chain from the provinces is disrupted.

“If we need to do price freeze we will do so. But unfortunately walang [ang] high value crops medyo there’s... commodities diyan so we have to really identify kung ano ang masho-short depende sa tinamaan ng bagyo,” Laurel explained.

“Malamang hindi national ang prize-freeze,” he added.

According to the DA’s initial assessment, high-value crops including vegetables, were among the most heavily damaged by the typhoon.

Laurel said the freeze might apply to one or two provinces initially but could expand depending on market conditions. The department is expected to finalize its decision by Friday or Saturday.

The DA also reported flooding in sugarcane farms in Negros and some damage to the fisheries sector. However, rice farms were mostly spared, as a majority of farmers had already harvested before the typhoon.

To assist those affected, the DA has prepositioned ₱255 million worth of agricultural inputs to support farmers and fishers in recovering from the calamity.

Despite the damages, Laurel assured the public that no major price hikes in vegetables or other essential food products are expected, according to RH Val Gonzales' report on DRH's Rapido Hataw Balita.

“Confident naman ako na we have enough supply as of the moment. We just have to avoid or try to limit yung tinatawag na spike dahil nga sa dalawang bagyong ito,” he said.

During a joint press conference with the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) regarding the implementation of executive orders 100 and 101, which concern the palay or rice floor price and the full rollout of the Sagip Saka Act. Laurel noted that the DA had already prepared months in advance by approving importations of carrots, broccoli, onions, garlic, and fish such as galunggong (round scad) to stabilize market supply.

The DA emphasized that the price freeze implementation is further supported by the national state of calamity declaration, which legally allows the government to control prices of essential goods.

Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan, author of the Sagip Saka Act, joined the conference alongside DAR Secretary Conrado Estrella III, Quezon 1st District Representative Mark Enverga, NFA Administrator Larry Lacson, and Zamboanga del Norte Governor Darel Dexter Uy.

In its latest monitoring, the DA confirmed that "high-value crops remain the most affected" among agricultural products, while rice was barely affected, though there was some flooding in sugar areas and heavy losses in high-value crops

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read