DZRH Logo
DA dispatches 18 trucks to Benguet to rescue surplus vegetable harvest
DA dispatches 18 trucks to Benguet to rescue surplus vegetable harvest
Province
DA dispatches 18 trucks to Benguet to rescue surplus vegetable harvest
by Thea Divina02 April 2026
Photo from Department of Agriculture

The Department of Agriculture has mobilized an emergency transport operation, deploying 18 trucks to Benguet to move a massive surplus of vegetables that has left local farmers unable to sell their crops.

Agriculture Secretary Francisco "Kiko" Tiu Laurel Jr. said the agency is utilizing a fleet of government-owned vehicles and cooperative trucks to ferry produce directly to major trading hubs in Metro Manila.

To ensure the transition is seamless, the department is absorbing all fuel expenses, a move designed to bypass the high transport costs that have discouraged private traders from buying the highland harvests.

The intervention comes after reports surfaced last week of farmers facing mounting losses due to an oversaturated regional market.

“The issue was brought to my attention last week, and we immediately instructed our regional directors and logistics teams to act. Our goal is to move the vegetables efficiently and prevent waste while supporting our farmers,” the DA chief said.

Tiu Laurel noted that the DA’s logistics teams and the KADIWA program are now actively mapping out routes from Benguet farms to urban centers to prevent the vegetables from rotting in the fields.

While the transport surge offers immediate relief, the secretary emphasized that the department is fast-tracking infrastructure to prevent future gluts.

This includes the construction of a Mega Cold Storage facility with a 5,000-ton capacity scheduled for completion next year, alongside the current deployment of modular cooling units to help farmers preserve their inventory when prices dip.

Addressing reports that some growers have yet to see government aid, Tiu Laurel announced he will personally travel to Baguio on Wednesday to inspect the situation.

“I will go to Baguio by Wednesday to check firsthand what is happening and determine how we can provide immediate assistance,” Tiu said.

He stated that the visit is intended to verify ground conditions and ensure that the agency's regional offices and the Baguio Agricultural Produce Trading Center are effectively reaching the affected farming communities.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read