

Former soldier Orly Regala Guteza appeared at the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing on Thursday to testify on alleged anomalies surrounding multi-billion-peso flood control projects.
In his testimony, Guteza claimed that several lawmakers were involved in the scheme, including Albay Rep. Zaldy Co and Former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
He alleged that multiple luggage containing between ₱15 million to ₱48 million were delivered to the residences of the two congressmen.
Guteza also mentioned Benguet Rep. Eric Yap, who he said was among those who received kickbacks from the supposed irregular funds.
Eventually, Yap released a statement online expressing dismay over being implicated in the controversy.
“I was disheartened to hear my name mentioned in today’s Senate hearing on alleged irregularities in flood control projects. To be implicated in such matters is painful, not only for myself, but also for the people I have pledged to serve with integrity,” Yap said.
He categorically denied the allegations, stressing that he had “never accepted, nor authorized, the delivery of money in connection with flood control projects.”
“As a public servant, I am accountable to the people. That is why I welcome the chance to face the witness who implicated me, but in the proper forum and under proceedings where my constitutional rights are respected,” Yap added.
The congressman said his public service has always been “guided by service, not self-interest,” and expressed confidence that “truth and justice will prevail” and that the “real culprits” behind the alleged misuse of funds would eventually be exposed.
Cong. Romualdez has previously pledged his participation in any form of investigation related to the controversial DPWH scheme.
Meanwhile, Cong. Zaldy Co has been revoked of his travel clearance and is being summoned back to the country pending his investigation.
