DZRH Logo
Chinese embassy hits back at Teodoro, calls remarks ‘squid tactics’
Chinese embassy hits back at Teodoro, calls remarks ‘squid tactics’
Nation
Chinese embassy hits back at Teodoro, calls remarks ‘squid tactics’
by Elijah Gaven Mitra21 August 2026
Photo courtesy: Chinese Embassy in Manila

The Chinese Embassy in Manila accused Defense Secretary Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro Jr. of using “squid tactics” to divert attention from questions surrounding the case of 70 Chinese workers linked to Sanjia Steel.

In a statement on Friday, August 21, Chinese Embassy spokesperson Ji Lingpeng said Teodoro had responded to the embassy’s concerns with what he described as “baseless and sensational allegations” instead of addressing the issues raised by Beijing.

“Instead of addressing the legitimate concerns and questions we raised, Secretary Teodoro hurled some baseless and sensational allegations against the Chinese Embassy. A textbook example of Squid Tactics,” Ji said.

The embassy was referring to Teodoro’s accusation that it was acting as a public relations firm for businessman Tony Yang and other individuals allegedly involved in illegal activities.

Advertisement

Ji strongly rejected the allegation and challenged Teodoro to present evidence to support his claim.

“PR firm for Tony Yang? No one at the Chinese Embassy even knows him. Any serious statement must be accurate and factual,” Ji said.

The embassy also denied covering up illegal activities, stressing that such accusations should be supported by solid evidence and addressed through the proper legal process.

“Covering up illegal activities is a serious accusation that must be dealt with in accordance with the law and backed by solid evidence. We dare the Secretary to come up with the evidence to back up his absurd accusation,” Ji said.

Advertisement

The dispute centers on the 70 Chinese workers associated with Sanjia Steel, whom the Chinese Embassy said should not be wrongly implicated or framed.

Ji cited Department of Justice (DOJ) resolutions issued on May 28 and July 30 concerning the workers. According to the embassy, the May 28 resolution directed that the complaints against the Chinese nationals be referred for further investigation and ordered their release unless they were being detained for another lawful cause.

The embassy further said the DOJ reaffirmed the substance of its earlier action on July 30 by dismissing the complaints against the 70 Chinese workers for “lack of prima facie evidence with reasonable certainty of conviction.”

Despite these resolutions, Ji accused Teodoro of continuing to associate the Chinese workers with illegal activities without presenting evidence.

Advertisement

“Any unbiased person would ask: who possesses the legal authority to determine law violations in the Philippines? DND or DOJ? Does SND Teodoro respect the rule of law and the decisions of the judiciary?” Ji said.

The Chinese Embassy maintained that its role is to ensure that Chinese nationals are not unjustly implicated in criminal allegations, while insisting that Philippine authorities should follow existing legal processes and decisions.

Teodoro, for his part, previously accused the Chinese Embassy of acting as a “PR firm” for Yang and other individuals allegedly involved in illegal activities. In a statement released by the Department of National Defense, he said the embassy was “covering up for these people” and urged Filipinos to condemn what he described as an unacceptable act of interference.

“Kailangan kundenahin ito ng ating mga mamamayan,” Teodoro said. “Kailangan nating ipakita na hindi tayo papayag dito!”

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read