

Senator JV Ejercito has urged the replacement of Chinese Ambassador Jing Quan, citing recent statements by the diplomat that, according to the senator, have strained relations between the Philippines and China.
In an interview on DZRH's Damdaming Bayan, Ejercito claimed that Quan is the source of ongoing misunderstandings between the two countries and stressed that replacing him would be a prudent step before tensions escalate further.
"Maganda siguro kaysa makadagdag siya sa nangyayari. Nagkakatensyon na nga ang relasyon ng Tsina at Pilipinas, mas maganda siguro palitan na lamang 'yan [Jing Quan]," Ejercito said.
"Dapat ang ambassador dimplomatic nga sana 'yan, kung pwede siya ang taga-ayos ng gusot kaso mukhang siya pa ang nagiging sanhi ng hindi pagkaka-unawaan ng Pilipinas at China."
The senator also criticized the Chinese embassy for what he described as continued harassment of Filipino fishermen.
“Dapat hayaan niya na tayo ay magsalita dahil ipinaglalaban natin, itinataguyod natin ang interes ng ating bansa,” Ejercito said.
“Hindi natin papayagan, ‘yung kanilang patuloy na pambu-bully, pambabasa sa ating mga mangingisda doon na kanilang tinataboy,” he added.
Ejercito argued that Quan’s presence has been more harmful than beneficial to bilateral relations.
“Dapat palitan ito dahil hindi nakakabuti sa relasyon ng China at Pilipinas. Bagkus ito ay nakakadagdag pa na parang gasolina na ibinubuhos,” he said.
He further suggested that the ambassador be declared persona non grata, stating that Jing Quan has not contributed positively to the country’s economy or business environment.
Raising further concerns, Ejercito hinted that the Chinese envoy could be acting as a spy. He noted that Jing Quan previously served in Washington, D.C., allegedly monitoring U.S. interests for China.
“Ang balita inaano, ito’s nanggagaling sa matagal Washington, kumbaga ito’y isang espiya siguro. Talagang ang focus niya ay ang interes ng China labas sa Estados Unidos…tinitingnan niyan kung ano ang magiging interes ng Estados Unidos,” Ejercito said.
The senator’s comments come after the proposed Senate Resolution No. 256 was introduced during the plenary session on Monday, January 26.
Fifteen senators have signed the resolution, which condemns statements from the Chinese Embassy in Manila targeting Filipino government officials and institutions who have criticized Beijing’s aggressive actions and defended Philippine sovereignty.
