

Palace Press Officer Usec. Claire Castro on Monday pushed back against Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo ‘Pulong’ Duterte’s remarks on "conscience," after he criticized her defense of the Department of Trade and Industry’s (DTI) claim that a Filipino family could prepare a simple Noche Buena meal with a ₱500 budget.
Earlier, Duterte argued that the suggested budget was unrealistic, even remarking that Castro’s assessment reflected poorly on her grasp of everyday struggles.
“Ante Kler, kung ganyan din lang ang level ng analysis mo, mas bagay siguro sa’yo mag-notaryo sa Recto kaysa mag-lecture sa taumbayan kung sapat ba ang ₱500 para sa Noche Buena,” Duterte said.
"Madam, kahit ‘yung ham na kasing nipis ng konsensya ng grupo niyo, hindi na ‘yan kasya," he added.
Castro responded forcefully, questioning Duterte’s remarks about “conscience” and invoking controversies previously associated with former president Rodrigo Duterte.
“Nabanggit niya ang patungkol sa konsensya—siya pa po ba ang magsasalita tungkol sa konsensya? Hindi po ba ang kanyang sariling ama ang umamin na he killed people? Sino po ba ang may kakilala na hitman at kayang magpaliquidate, at sino rin po ba ang umamin na hindi gumagalang sa Human Rights? Now, are we talking about conscience?” Castro said.
She further pointed to past corruption allegations involving the former president, adding: “Hindi po ba ang sarili niya ring ama ang siyang umamin na siya ay corrupt? Sino kaya ang nakinabang sa korapsyong inamin ng sarili niyang ama?”
Castro emphasized that the Marcos administration aims to improve the lives of Filipinos through various socioeconomic programs, saying the discussion over the ₱500 budget should not be taken as the ultimate measure of what the government wants for Filipino families.
“Ang nais ng pangulo ay maiangat ang buhay ng bawat Pilipino... Hindi lamang sa halaga ng ₱500 nagwawakas ang gusto ng Pilipino para maiangat ang buhay ng bawat Pilipino,” she said.
She also noted that industry stakeholders have echoed DTI’s assessment that even an expert like Steve Cua of the Philippine Amalgamated Supermarkets Association Inc. has agreed with DTI.
Earlier, the DTI said in an interview that Filipino families can still prepare a simple Noche Buena meal for as low as ₱500, such as ham, pasta, and ingredients for macaroni salad or spaghetti.
