

Palace Press Officer Usec. Atty. Claire Castro admitted on Thursday that the announcement of the 'resignation' of former Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin came from Malacañang.
Earlier, Bersamin said he did not voluntarily resign from his post.
During the press conference, Castro, however, declined to provide specifics on the reason for Bersamin’s removal.
“Ang pina-announce po sa atin ay galing sa Palasyo at kung ano po naramdaman ni ES Bersamin, yun din po," Castro said.
"Ginagalang po natin ang kanyang nararamdaman. At kung ano po ang sinabi lamang ng Palasyo, yun lamang po ang ating inannounce," she added.
She explained that the announcement reflected the understanding that Cabinet officials serve at the discretion and pleasure of the President and also noted that Bersamin and President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. had discussed the matter personally.
“Let us just leave it at that,” she added.
She further acknowledged Bersamin’s statement regarding his transition, saying it was part of the ongoing reorganization within the administration.
“The Palace acknowledges former Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin’s clarification regarding the manner of his transition. As he himself stated in his interview, he submitted himself to the President’s discretion and prerogative as part of [the] ongoing reorganization,” Castro read from a letter.
"Hindi ko masasabi kung sino nagpatanggal sa kanya...Hindi ko alam kung sinong kausap niya. Kung 'yung ang nababasa ng palasyo dahil sinubmit niya naman ang sarili niya sa president's prerogative, 'yan lang po ang ating masasabi. At tinanggap po ang sinasabing resignation," she added.
When asked about ongoing investigations into other Cabinet officials, especially amid allegations of anomalies in flood control projects, Castro stated that "no formal notification of internal investigations" had been received by the Palace.
She emphasized that matters requiring investigation would fall under the jurisdiction of the Independent Commission on Investigation (ICI), the Ombudsman, or the Department of Justice (DOJ).
When asked whether resignations might allow officials to avoid accountability, Castro assured the public that no one would be beyond scrutiny.
“Kung kailangan pong imbestigahan, private citizen, public official, kung kailangan imbestigahan, dapat imbestigahan” she said.
Castro also addressed concerns over perceived “unceremonious” removals of high-ranking officials, citing cases like former ICI Special adviser Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong and former DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan.
She clarified that, in Magalong’s case, his departure was voluntary, and no resignation was forced.
Concerns raised by some officials regarding the timing of announcements about their resignations also concern Bersamin, where he claimed that the announcements were made before he was personally informed about the matter.
“Ang aming service ay upon the pleasure of the President. Sabi nga nila, pagpasok mo dito, hindi mo alam kung ito naman yung huling araw mo. So lahat po kami dapat ay handa doon,” she noted.
Yesterday, in an exclusive interview on DZRH, Bersamin categorically denied that he resigned from his post "out of delicadeza," contradicting Castro's announcement.
After Bersamin left the post, former Secretary of Finance Ralph Recto officially took his oath as the new executive secretary.
