

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Cagayan River continues to swell but remains under close monitoring by local authorities, according to Rueli Rapsing, head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) in Cagayan.
Rapsing reported that water levels at the river gauge peaked at 12 meters around noon, rising slightly to 12.1 meters by 1 p.m., and have largely stabilized since.
“The sun is out, and our main concern now is monitoring the river’s swelling,” he said.
According to Rapsing, flooding has affected five municipalities along the river. Local governments implemented early preparations and preemptive evacuations, which have successfully limited the number of residents needing to leave their homes.
“So far, the water hasn’t been destructive. It is rising gradually but hasn’t damaged homes,” Rapsing added.
In Enrile, Cagayan, six eastern municipalities experienced flooding, while in Tuguegarao City, nearly 75% of its 49 barangays were affected. Most of the municipality of Amulung is submerged, and floodwaters are beginning to build up in Alcala, particularly in barangays situated along the river.
The Provincial Health Office has deployed its full team to all evacuation centers, ensuring that residents receive monitoring and necessary medications.
Meanwhile, Buntun Bridge remains closed for safety reasons. “The DPWH [Department of Public Works and Highways] advisory will remain in effect. The bridge is largely submerged, and its structure may be compromised if we allow vehicles to pass,” Rapsing explained.
A newly constructed bridge in the area is also affected, as the connecting road network is underwater.
Rapsing expresses hope that the DPWH will consider reopening Buntun Bridge once water levels fall to 11.5 meters, depending on ongoing assessments.
THE PDRRMO chief noted that a portion of water released from the Magat Dam has already reached Buntun Bridge.
“For the past 13 hours, the water has been at our location. I believe we’ve reached the peak at Buntun Bridge. Any rise beyond 12.1 or 12.2 meters is unlikely,” he said.
He also addressed residents affected by the flooding: “Sa mga kababayan natin, pasensya nyo po ang aming hinihingi. Manatili muna tayo kung saan ang evacuation centers natin at inaalagaan naman tayo ng ating mga local government units.”
Residents are advised to stay vigilant and follow local evacuation orders as the situation continues to be monitored.
