DZRH Logo
Berlin Film Festival director to stay in role after Gaza tensions
Berlin Film Festival director to stay in role after Gaza tensions
World
Berlin Film Festival director to stay in role after Gaza tensions
by DZRH News05 March 2026
Berlin Film Festival Director Tricia Tuttle speaks on stage during the awards ceremony at the 76th Berlinale International Film Festival in Berlin, Germany February 21, 2026. REUTERS/Axel Schmidt/File Photo

BERLIN, March 4 (Reuters) - Berlin Film Festival director Tricia Tuttle will remain in her role but has been given a set of new guidelines, a statement said on Wednesday, after tensions over Gaza overshadowed the event in February.

Tuttle's future as head of the festival, known as the Berlinale, was in the spotlight last week, with Germany's government convening an emergency meeting to discuss the matter.

German media reports suggesting that Tuttle could be ousted prompted a number of directors, writers and producers to rally around her.

It capped a politically charged festival that pitted anger over Israel's actions in Gaza and concerns over free speech against historical sensitivities in Germany, which remains one of Israel's staunchest supporters due to guilt over the Nazi Holocaust.

Advertisement

The supervisory board of the federal body responsible for the 'Berlinale' recommended creating an advisory forum for the event and a new code of conduct for all federal cultural events.

Tuttle said in the statement she would carefully consider the recommendations.

In the same statement, the government's Commissioner for Culture and Media, Wolfram Weimer, said the new guidelines would boost public acceptance of the festival, adding: "Art and artists should once again be at the heart of the Berlinale."

TENSIONS AT THE FESTIVAL

Advertisement

Germany is particularly sensitive to discussion about Israel and what constitutes antisemitism, which has become more acute following the October 7, 2023, attack by Hamas militants.

During the festival, Tuttle issued a statement defending artists' right not to comment on politics after actors and directors - including jury president Wim Wenders - were perceived to avoid such questions at press conferences.

An open letter to organisers signed by over 80 former participants that the festival should take a clear stance on Gaza amplified previous criticism by pro-Palestinian activists.

Tensions culminated during the closing ceremony with a speech by Palestinian-Syrian film director Abdallah Al-Khatib accusing Germany of being "partners in the genocide in Gaza by Israel", prompting a German minister to walk out.

Advertisement

Israel has strongly denied that its actions in Gaza amount to genocide and says they are justified as self-defence.

(Reporting by Miranda Murray and Matthias WilliamsEditing by Gareth Jones)

Share
Related Topics
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read