DZRH Logo
Belmonte urges Suntay to issue public apology over ‘inappropriate’ remarks on Anne Curtis
Belmonte urges Suntay to issue public apology over ‘inappropriate’ remarks on Anne Curtis
Nation
Belmonte urges Suntay to issue public apology over ‘inappropriate’ remarks on Anne Curtis
by Thea Divina04 March 2026
Photos from QC Government, House of Representatives

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte has called on Congressman Bong Suntay to issue a public apology over what she described as inappropriate remarks made during a House committee hearing on Tuesday, March 3.

The controversy stemmed from statements made by Suntay during the hearing, where he shared his “imagination” upon seeing actress Anne Curtis at a hotel, commenting on her beauty. The remarks drew criticism from several netizens, celebrities and the female community for objectifying women.

“I urge Congressman Bong Suntay to apologize for the inappropriate remarks that he made at a recent House committee hearing,” the mayor said in a statement.

Belmonte stressed that the remarks run counter to Quezon City’s long-standing efforts to promote women’s empowerment and protect their rights.

“His words directly contradict the spirit of empowerment that we have worked hard to build here in Quezon City,” she said, noting the city’s initiatives to create safe spaces and opportunities for women.

The mayor expressed particular disappointment as the incident occurred during Women’s Month. She also pointed out that Suntay previously served on the Quezon City Council and played a role in passing key gender-related policies.

Belmonte highlighted that Suntay was the majority floor leader when the city enacted the Bawal Bastos Ordinance in 2016, which penalizes lewd, malicious, and demeaning remarks and actions in public spaces. The local measure was passed ahead of the national Safe Spaces Act.

“Our policies are a declaration of our city’s values—of what we stand for and what we refuse to tolerate. We expect our elected officials to be the first to live by them,” she said.

Belmonte emphasized the need to stand firm against actions that undermine women’s dignity.

“We must not hesitate to push back against any act that undermines the dignity of our women. We must continue to stand for their safety, dignity, and equality—without exception and without compromise,” she added.

The mayor concluded by calling on Suntay to “take full accountability for his remarks, issue a proper apology, and conduct himself with the dignity that his office—and our city—demand,” saying that the people of Quezon City “deserve no less.”

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read