

The camp of Sen. Ronald dela Rosa on Wednesday denied reports that a subpoena from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) was being served during an incident at the Senate on May 11, insisting instead that authorities were attempting to enforce an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court (ICC).
Lawyer Israelito Torreon said the earlier claims about a CIDG subpoena were “not truthful,” maintaining that personnel from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) tried to stop dela Rosa upon his arrival at the Senate without presenting any such document.
“Wala namang subpoena niya sinabi at saka kung totoo na subpoena yun, sana CIDG yung nag-implement,” Torreon said, recounting that NBI agents attempted to block the senator.
“Eh taga NBI eh, they were really trying to implement the warrant of arrest issued by the ICC.”
Torreon said the presence and actions of NBI agents indicate that what authorities were trying to enforce was an alleged ICC-issued warrant of arrest, not a domestic subpoena.
He added that even the head of the NBI had attempted to enter Senate premises that morning, which he said further contradicts the claim that the incident involved a CIDG process.
The lawyer also pointed to developments later that day, saying former senator Antonio Trillanes IV appeared at the Senate and presented what he described as a copy of an ICC arrest warrant, reinforcing their belief about the nature of the attempted enforcement.
“Wala pong katotohanan that they were trying to serve the CIDG subpoena but the truth was and still is they tried to serve the ICC warrant.”
“That could be confirmed because in the afternoon of the same day, si Mr. Antonio Trillanes was already in the Senate. And he was even showing a copy of an alleged ICC warrant of arrest. That would prove what they were trying to serve on May 11.”
Torreon acknowledged there had been initial miscommunication within dela Rosa’s camp, as he was in Davao City at the time, but said he remained in contact with the senator’s staff throughout the incident.
He reiterated that no Philippine court had issued, validated or confirmed any arrest warrant in connection with the matter, and maintained that the actions taken on May 11 were tied to the ICC, not the CIDG.
Meanwhile, Sen. Ronald dela Rosa has remained out of public view after he reportedly left Senate protective custody on May 13, hours after tensions escalated following the shooting incident at the Senate, allegedly in the company of Sen. Robin Padilla.
