DZRH Logo
BARMM chief removes education minister Mohagher Iqbal over ₱2.2 billion irregularities
BARMM chief removes education minister Mohagher Iqbal over ₱2.2 billion irregularities
Province
BARMM chief removes education minister Mohagher Iqbal over ₱2.2 billion irregularities
by Thea Divina19 May 2026
Photo from BARMM Government

The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) government has removed Education Minister Mohagher Iqbal from his post over alleged irregularities involving billions of pesos in education funds.

In a two-page order, BARMM Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua directed Iqbal’s removal effective May 19, citing findings from a special audit conducted by the Commission on Audit (COA). Iqbal had been heading the Ministry of Basic, Higher and Technical Education (MBHTE).

The order followed an earlier directive issued May 11 requiring Iqbal to submit his irrevocable resignation by May 18, stating that failure to comply would be treated as a voluntary resignation.

The COA audit flagged alleged anomalies tied to the procurement of education and training materials worth about 2.2 billion pesos.

Among the findings cited was the MBHTE’s failure to impose more than 1 million pesos in liquidated damages for a 520-day delay in a 30.9 million peso project involving the delivery of small armchairs for primary school students.

Auditors also questioned 53 contracts amounting to 1.95 billion pesos that were awarded despite reported defects in the procurement process. In addition, 73 disbursement vouchers worth 2.24 million pesos were allegedly paid in full despite incomplete supporting documents.

Macacua said the COA has issued initial notices of disallowance and is expected to release additional findings in the coming days.

He said the scale and seriousness of the findings threaten the principles of good governance in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao and have undermined public trust.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read