DZRH Logo
Magalong calls out Congress for allegedly turning DPWH projects into personal livelihood schemes
Magalong calls out Congress for allegedly turning DPWH projects into personal livelihood schemes
Nation
Magalong calls out Congress for allegedly turning DPWH projects into personal livelihood schemes
by Thea Divina02 October 2025
Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong on DZRH's Dos Por Dos | October 2, 2025.

Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong has strongly called out what he describes as a “cottage industry” of corruption, where members of Congress allegedly use their positions to enrich themselves through government infrastructure projects, either directly as contractors or indirectly by involving their families.

Speaking on DZRH’s Dos Por Dos, Magalong revealed that many lawmakers have found ways to sidestep conflict-of-interest rules by placing construction firms under the names of their children or relatives.

“Nakita nila na ang sarap pala maging contractor na congressman,” he said, describing how the practice has evolved into a “livelihood program” for corrupt politicians, in collusion with Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials.

Magalong said he had gathered records showing suspicious jumps in budget allocations in several districts, pointing to Mindoro as a case where funds under the National Expenditure Program (NEP) ballooned several times over once enacted into the General Appropriations Act (GAA).

Such anomalies, he stressed, expose deliberate insertions intended to benefit legislators with direct contracting interests.

The mayor emphasized that the corruption is systematic, stating that: “Hindi lang ‘yong tatanggap sila; sila na ‘yong contractor, sila pa ‘yong supplier.”

Within Congress, he added, deals and commissions are traded openly, with lawmakers leveraging influence to corner massive cuts from public works projects.

He argued that while it will be difficult to prosecute lawmakers—since they often avoid signing directly on project documents.

Magalong firmly implied that between the proponent and the contractor, accountability ultimately rests with the “corrupt politicians” orchestrating the DPWH flood control schemes.

“Walang kaduda-duda ‘yong mismong korap na politiko ‘yon. Siya na ang may pinaka-malaking porsyento,” he said.

The mayor, who earlier resigned as special adviser to the Integrity Commission Initiative (ICI) after clashing with officials, stressed that his advocacy with Mayors for Good Governance (M4GG) will continue.

He vowed to turn over evidence to Congress and press for accountability, insisting that investigations should not stop with resigned lawmakers but should also extend to higher-ranking figures and other agencies who enabled the system to thrive.

On the progress of ICI investigations, he remarked: “I believe they will be able to pursue it basta wag lang silang papa-impluwensya. ‘Wag lang sila maging bias. Pero looking at the background lahat naman sila merong reputasyon [na] credible.”

Asked whether he believes Malacañang was without fault, Magalong replied: “I would rather defer from answering that muna hanggang wala tayo gaanong ebidensiya tungkol dyan.”

He also disclosed that the M4GG plans to investigate the Department of Health’s Medical Assistance to Indigent Patients (MAIP) program, which has reportedly been used for political advantage during past elections.

“Hindi lang diyan natatapos ‘yan, meron pa ‘yan DOH,” Magalong warned, noting that the Department of Health could soon face scrutiny.

“Hindi lang DPWH, marami pa ‘yan. Akala niyo so far so good, wala kayo sa front sight natin pero malapit na kayo dyan.”

Magalong reiterated that he is not seeking higher office, underscoring that his efforts are aimed solely at pursuing accountability and strengthening good governance.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read