

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) driver implicated in a Senate shooting incident on May 13 denied firing any weapon, insisting he never handled a firearm during the commotion and questioning the results of a paraffin test that reportedly showed gunpowder residue on him.
In a report by RH Jecelle Ricafort, NBI driver Mel Oragon said he did not discharge any firearm and expressed surprise over forensic findings allegedly indicating traces of gunpowder on his hands.
“Wala po akong pinaputok na kahit anong uri ng baril,” Oragon said, firmly denying the allegation.
Oragon also rejected claims that bullets recovered by authorities belonged to him, saying he had no connection to the ammunition presented in the investigation.
He explained that he had been asked to retrieve a sling bag that was left at the GSIS Compound, which allegedly contained medicines needed by a companion. However, upon arriving at the area, he said police personnel were already present and immediately questioned him, preventing him from even touching the bag.
“Never ko po nahawakan yung bag at never ko po nakita yung bag na pinapabalikan sa amin,” he said, adding that he complied with instructions but was not able to handle the item.
Oragon admitted feeling fear over the incident but said he has received support from NBI Director Atty. Melvin Matibag.
He said he has served as a volunteer driver for the NBI for 11 years since 2016 and is a former Army reservist.
Oragon was temporarily released after posting P116,000 bail before the Pasay Regional Trial Court on Monday.
