

Quezon City 1st District Rep. Arjo Atayde on Tuesday vowed to fully cooperate with the ongoing investigation into alleged irregularities in several flood-control projects, asserting that the accusations of contractor Curlee and Sarah Discaya against him and his father are based solely on 'hearsay.'
Atayde grew emotional as he spoke to members of the media before appearing before the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) in Taguig City for an 'executive session.'
“Hindi ako magtatago, hindi ako iiwas, hindi ako lilipad ng ibang bansa. I am here to throughly go through the investigation to fight for my innocence,” Atayde said.
Atayde said he voluntarily appeared before the commission after sending a letter two weeks ago requesting to undergo investigation.
He explained that the ICI had asked him whether he preferred the hearing to be livestreamed or held in private, and he opted for an executive session.
“I told people I’ll answer at the proper forum, at the proper time — and this is it. I’m ready to answer. I’ll lay the cards on the table, facts only,” he added.
Meanwhile, the legislator maintained that no evidence has been presented to support claims linking him and his father, Arturo Atayde, to the allegedly anomalous projects.
“It’s all hearsay kasi until now baka mas mabuti bago magturo ibigay muna sa akin ang ebidensya laban sa akin because up to this point September 8, they haven’t even given out anything against me and my father. And [my] father is also willing to go through the investigation,” he said.
The congressman said he submitted an affidavit to the ICI but declined to disclose details discussed during the closed-door hearing. He also assured the public he is ready to return should the commission require his presence again.
“If I’m needed in the investigation again, I’m willing to come back,” he said.
Asistio challenges Discayas to present proof
Meanwhile, Caloocan City 3rd District Rep. Dean Asistio also appeared before the ICI to address allegations that he received kickbacks related to the same projects. He challenged his accusers — the Discaya couple — to substantiate their claims.
He said his voluntary appearance before the commission was meant to show transparency and give him the opportunity to clear his name.
“Humarap [ako] sa ICI para makipagtulungan sa imbestigasyon nang sa ganun mabigyan din tayo ng pagkakataon na ma-clear ‘yung name natin sa allegastion laban sa akin,” Asistio said.
Asistio said he requested an executive session to avoid “trial by publicity” and to ensure he would not reveal sensitive information in a public hearing.
He reiterated that the accusations against him are false, noting that he had already issued an official statement on September 8 — the same day the allegations were mentioned before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.
He urged his accusers to present proof and substantiate the accusations being thrown against him.
It can be remembered, during the previous Blue Ribbon Committee on alleged flood control anomalies, Curlee named several lawmakers and Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials including Atayde and Asistio as recipients of 'kickbacks' from government projects.
