

The Chinese Embassy in Manila has fired back at Defense Secretary Gilberto “Gibo” Teodoro Jr., accusing him of evasion and deception after the Department of National Defense (DND) defended the government’s actions involving Chinese nationals detained in connection with a steel plant operation in Misamis Oriental.
In a statement issued Sunday, the embassy said DND spokesperson Assistant Secretary Arsenio Andolong’s response failed to address the questions it previously raised regarding the legality of the arrests and the alleged intervention of Chinese diplomatic officials in the case.
“Spokesperson Arsenio Andolong's statement does not contain any answers to our questions. It is filled with evasiveness and deception,” the embassy said.
The Chinese Embassy questioned who has the legal authority to determine whether an individual has violated Philippine laws—the Defense Secretary or judicial authorities.
It cited a May 28 resolution by Philippine prosecution authorities, which it said ordered the release of the 70 Chinese nationals unless they were being held for other lawful reasons.
The embassy also pointed to a July 30 action that it claimed reaffirmed the substance of the earlier resolution and dismissed the complaints against the Chinese workers for “lack of prima facie evidence with reasonable certainty of conviction.”
Against this backdrop, the embassy questioned why Teodoro continues to accuse the Chinese nationals of engaging in illegal activities in the Philippines.
“Does he respect the rule of law and the decisions of the judiciary?” it asked.
The embassy further argued that culpability should be determined by judges based on evidence, rather than by the Defense Secretary or a DND spokesperson.
Embassy defends consular intervention
The Chinese Embassy also rejected Teodoro’s allegation that Chinese diplomatic officials actively intervened in Philippine law enforcement processes.
It maintained that protecting the safety and legitimate rights and interests of Chinese nationals is a fundamental responsibility of an embassy.
The embassy said it has the right and responsibility to conduct consular visits, provide consular protection and make representations to Philippine law enforcement authorities to ensure that detained Chinese nationals are treated humanely, fairly and justly.
“Secretary Teodoro cannot hide behind his disingenuous disinformation,” the embassy said.
The latest statement follows a growing public exchange between Beijing and Manila over the detention of Chinese nationals and the involvement of Chinese diplomatic officials in the case.
The controversy stemmed from a Philippine government operation at a steel plant in Misamis Oriental, where dozens of Chinese nationals were arrested. Philippine authorities had raised concerns over possible violations of immigration, labor and other Philippine laws.
The Chinese Embassy, however, has repeatedly challenged the Philippine government’s handling of the case and defended its consular activities involving the detained Chinese nationals.
The latest dispute also comes amid heightened tensions between the Philippines and China over security and sovereignty issues, particularly in the West Philippine Sea.
Ending its statement, the Chinese Embassy again demanded that the Philippine government address the issues it had raised.
“ANSWER ALL OUR QUESTIONS.”
