

Isabela Governor Rodito Albano clarified in an interview on Tuesday during DZRH’s Dos Por Dos that his official trip to Germany coincided with the arrival of Super Typhoon Uwan, but said disaster preparations in the province had already been completed before his departure.
Albano confirmed he is currently in Hanover, Germany, attending an international trade fair on agricultural machinery. He said the trip was part of efforts to modernize Isabela’s agricultural sector under an upcoming executive order focused on improving rice production.
“This trip was scheduled a month ago in connection with Executive Order 100, which focuses on agricultural modernization,” Albano said in Filipino.
"We're here to explore modern farm equipment that can help improve rice productivity in Isabela," he added.
The governor’s travel became the subject of public discussion after the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) issued a temporary travel ban on local officials during calamities. Albano said he had already left when the directive reached him.
“I received the order on November 9, but I was already in transit. It would not have been practical to return,” he said.
Albano said the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) and local officials had been mobilized several days before the storm’s arrival.
“We mobilized three days before the typhoon. Our vice governor and mayors were on the ground, and all directives were carried out,” he said. “When the typhoon passed, it weakened before reaching Isabela. We recorded two damaged houses in Dinapigue and no reported fatalities.”
The governor also referenced an earlier interview where he emphasized that the province’s disaster response system was already in place before he left.
“When I was interviewed by One Channel TV, I said our preparations were already in place. Everything had been positioned and organized,” Albano said. “If the rainfall had been heavier or the floods stronger, there was nothing more we could have done—we were ready for the worst. You can’t stop the force of nature. As I said, I wasn’t able to build a Noah’s Ark to carry everyone to safety.”
During the Dos Por Dos interview, Albano also addressed criticism of his earlier remarks on social media urging residents to “pray, pray, pray, and chill.”
“It was taken out of context,” he said. “After praying, you relax and trust in God—that’s what I meant by ‘chill,’ not being complacent.”
Albano said he had informed Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla about his trip, noting that it was covered by an approved travel order.
“I told Secretary Remulla before leaving, and he was aware of the trip,” Albano said. “This is not for leisure; we are here as a delegation to study agriculturalAlbano technologies.”
