DZRH Logo
8 Chinese nationals arrested for illegal detention, alleged scam hub in Muntinlupa
8 Chinese nationals arrested for illegal detention, alleged scam hub in Muntinlupa
Metro Manila
8 Chinese nationals arrested for illegal detention, alleged scam hub in Muntinlupa
by Luwela Amor17 February 2026
Photo courtesy: Screengrab from NBI/FB

Eight Chinese nationals were arrested in Alabang, Muntinlupa, where authorities rescued a Chinese man who had reportedly been held captive in a facility resembling a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO) office, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).

During a press conference, NBI-NCR Director Joel Tovera presented the arrested suspects to the media, saying the operation was launched following a report from a Chinese man whose friend had been illegally detained for two weeks.

“Itong biktima ay nakapagpadala ng distress call and message dito sa complainant na dumating sa atin,” Tovera told reporters.

He said that the NBI agents immediately rescued the victim and arrested the suspects.

"We were able to rescue the victim and arrested two of the Chinese nationals who were present na ito yung na-identify ng biktima na nananakit sa kanya. Tinututukan siya ng baril, kinokuryente siya, etc. But together with these two Chinese nationals, may mga anim pa na Chinese nationals doon na nag-ooperate ng mukhang hub or POGO-like office. So we arrested them also," he said.

He added: "We invited them to our office for further identification considering that they were not able to present any document, passport, working visa, and all that. And so we presented for inquest proceedings the two Chinese nationals and the serious illegal detention case was slapped against them.”

According to the victim, one of his assailants had a pending kidnapping case from previous years.

The six other Chinese nationals found working at the facility were also taken into custody.

Tovera said the NBI would seek a warrant to seize computers and other digital devices discovered at the site.

“We decided to apply search warrant for violation of the Cybercrime Law. And last Friday, we implemented the search warrant in coordination with our forensic experts. An on-site examination was conducted and our digital forensics determined that there is a clear violation of the Philippine laws,” he said.

“We will resist all the items being used by this group or syndicate, so to speak, and presented to the court. We made a return to the court and our digital forensic laboratory will conduct further off-site examination so that our case will be more airtight to be filed the soonest possible time,” Tovera added.

The NBI also coordinated with the Chinese Embassy and the Bureau of Immigration (BI), as the case involves foreign nationals, both suspects and the victim.

The suspects have been charged with serious illegal detention, and authorities noted that additional charges under the Cybercrime Prevention Act (Republic Act 10175) could be filed if evidence of cyber-related crimes is uncovered.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read