DZRH Logo
45 BFP officials to face raps over firetruck procurement anomalies — DILG
45 BFP officials to face raps over firetruck procurement anomalies — DILG
Nation
45 BFP officials to face raps over firetruck procurement anomalies — DILG
by Jim Fernandez19 March 2026

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) announced on Thursday that it will file a complaint-affidavit against 45 incumbent and former Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) officials, citing the allegedly anomalous procurement of firetrucks.

“Pormal na kakasuhan ng DILG sa Office of the Ombudsman ang 45 na kasalukuyan at dating opisyal ng BFP dahil sa manipulasyon at anomalya sa pagbili ng mga firetrucks mula 2018 hanggang 2024. Kabilang sa mga kakasuhan ang mga pinakamataas na opisyal ng kawanihan: sina dating Directors Leonardo Bañago at Louie Puracan, at ang suspendidong Fire Director Jesus Fernandez,” DILG Secretary Jonvic Remulla said, adding that the entire Bids and Awards Committee, as well as two suppliers, Palmer Asia Inc. and F. Cura Industries, have been impleaded in the case.

According to a press release, the scope of the complaint includes the Technical Working Group and Technical Specifications Committee, which were also involved in the bureau’s firetruck procurement cycles.

Remulla said these officials will face multiple charges in connection with the anomalies.

“Haharap sila sa patung-patong na kaso: Grave Misconduct, Serious Dishonesty, Gross Neglect of Duty, at paglabag sa Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act… Wala kaming sinasanto. Mananagot ang lahat ng umaabuso sa bawat Pilipino,” Remulla said.

The DILG’s probe found that the anomalies occurred not by mere neglect, but covert corruption, Remulla said, claiming the BFP did not actually conduct deliberations and bent their standards and bidding rules in favor of potentially complicit companies.

“Ang natuklasan ng ating imbestigasyon ay hindi simpleng kapabayaan. Ito ay korupsyon. Ginamit ang mga pre-signed technical specifications, walang tunay na deliberasyon, binaluktot ang mga standards, bidding rules, para paboran ang ilang kumpanya—’yung dalawa na sinabi namin,” he said in a press conference.

In the complaint, the agency asserted that the BFP officials devised technical specifications for firetrucks over several years to the advantage of the two suppliers, impeding competition and causing the drastic rise in the cost of 1,000-gallon firetrucks in the span of a decade.

“Noong 2014, ang isang 1,000-gallon firetruck ay nagkahalaga ng ₱5.97 million—halos 6 million siya noong 2014. Pagsapit ng 2024, umabot na ‘to ng halos ₱15 million kada unit. A 250 percent increase, way above the inflation rate,” Remulla said.

“Hindi inflation ang nagpataas ng presyo ng mga firetrucks: korupsyon. Habang ang ating mga tapat na bombero na nagbubuwis ng kanyang buhay gamit ang mga lumang kagamitan, ang mga opisyal sa itaas (ay pinagkakakitaan ang) pondo ng bayan,” he added.

Moreover, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) discovered that the companies also undervalued import declarations by over 30 percent and were unable to present key financial documents during audit proceedings.

The agency emphasized that the case does not solely concern procurement violations but also the safety of civilians.

“Hindi dapat nalalagay sa alanganin ang buhay ng ating mga kababayan dahil sa iregularidad. Every procurement must be aboveboard, transparent, and anchored on the public interest,” Remulla declared.

Previously, the DILG filed graft, bribery, malversation, and conspiracy charges against now-suspended Fire Chief Gen. Jesus Fernandez and others in connection with an alleged ambulance kickback scheme within the bureau.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read