

More than 3.4 million passengers passed through ports nationwide during the Holy Week travel period, while drowning incidents declined compared to last year, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said.
The surge in travelers was recorded under “Oplan Biyaheng Ayos: Semana Santa 2026,” according to PCG spokesperson Commodore Noemie Cayabyab. Passenger volume peaked from March 28 to April 5, particularly on Holy Wednesday and Easter Sunday.
Among the busiest areas were ports in Cebu, Iloilo, Aklan, Batangas and Oriental Mindoro, where large numbers of travelers returned to their home provinces for the annual religious observance.
Despite the influx, the PCG reported a decrease in drowning cases, with 37 incidents logged this year compared to 53 in 2025.
Most of the victims were young individuals who went swimming at beaches, with some reportedly under the influence of alcohol.
Cayabyab said the drop in incidents was attributed to the coordinated efforts of local government units, resort operators, national agencies and the media in reminding the public to remain vigilant and follow safety guidelines during the Holy Week break.
