

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said individuals involved in the operation of an illegal cigarette factory are now allegedly in hiding following a series of enforcement actions by authorities.
Speaking in an interview on DZRH’s Dos Por Dos, Remulla said the latest reports he received indicate that those linked to the illicit operation have gone into hiding after government forces padlocked stores found selling illegal products.
“Ngayon sa latest reports, parang nagtatago na lahat kasi pinapadlock namin yung tindahan na nahuli namin. Yung mga distributor, natatakot na rin na mahuli sila kasi non-bailable,” Remulla said.
The secretary added that authorities recently discovered cigarette packs bearing fake tax stamps. The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) verified that the stamps were counterfeit, underscoring what Remulla described as the sophistication of the operation.
“Puro fake stamp. Vinerify doon ng BI na fake stamp siya. Ganon ka-sophisticated ang operation sila,” he said.
Remulla also disclosed that two incumbent congressmen were allegedly involved in the illegal scheme, serving as logistics providers and part of a protection racket that supported the operation.
“Ang lumalabas sa kanila ang logistics at saka ang protection racket. Sila may hawak ng mga kung sino man mag-inspect sa kanila. Siyempre sa tingin ko, wala namang pwedeng bayaran dyan. Wala kaming pakielam. Pinapasok talaga namin lahat,” Remulla said.
The DILG chief confirmed that he has submitted a full report on the matter to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., including the names of the two lawmakers allegedly involved.
When asked whether the President had been informed, Remulla affirmed that a full report regarding the case had already been submitted.
According to the secretary, the President was surprised by the scale of the illegal operation after being presented with a detailed breakdown.
“Hindi niya akalain na gano'ng kalaki. Binigay ko sa kanya yung breakdown. Nagkataka siya kung bakit,” Remulla said.
Remulla cited a surge in sales reported by major tobacco companies following a large-scale crackdown that began on January 29. He said around 200 stores were raided, after which weekly sales reports from Philip Morris International and Japan Tobacco International showed an average increase of 24 percent.
The spike in legitimate sales, he said, highlights the significant market share previously taken by illegal cigarettes and the corresponding losses suffered by lawful businesses and the government in foregone tax revenues.
“Ganoon kalaki po 'yun. Kahit ako nagulat eh,” Remulla said.
The names of the two congressmen have not been publicly disclosed, but Remulla maintained that the President has been informed of their identities.
