DZRH Logo
18 self-identified ex-Marines are potential witnesses, not suspects says NBI – Atty. Baligod
18 self-identified ex-Marines are potential witnesses, not suspects says NBI – Atty. Baligod
Nation
18 self-identified ex-Marines are potential witnesses, not suspects says NBI – Atty. Baligod
by Thea Divina12 March 2026
File Photo

Lawyer Levi Baligod on Thursday said the 18 individuals who identified themselves as former Marines are being treated as potential witnesses and not suspects in the ongoing investigation by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), as reported by RH Jecelle Ricafort.

Baligod made the clarification after the group appeared before the NBI today to comply with subpoenas issued by the bureau as part of its probe into their recent exposé.

According to the lawyer, the former Marines are preparing to present evidence allegedly linking certain government officials to the acceptance of suitcase loads of cash from resigned congressman Zaldy Co.

He said the group plans to return to the NBI next week to submit additional documents and other supporting evidence related to their allegations.

Baligod also raised concerns over the bureau’s decision to question the former Marines individually, noting that each of them should have legal counsel during the process.

Despite this, he said the group agreed to cooperate with the procedure as they claim they have nothing to hide.

Earlier, at least 16 individuals who introduced themselves as former Marines and security aides of resigned congressman Co arrived at the NBI headquarters with Baligod following the issuance of subpoenas.

NBI Director Melvin Matibag earlier said the bureau would examine the individuals regarding their identities, background, credibility, as well as their personal knowledge and alleged participation in the matter under investigation.

The group previously accused several government officials of receiving large amounts of cash delivered in suitcases from Co, who has been identified as a key figure in the alleged multi-billion peso flood control controversy.

They alleged that the total amount of the supposed cash deliveries reached more than P800 billion and claimed that among those who received the funds were President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. and former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read