

At least 15 people have been confirmed dead after the roll-on/roll-off (RoRo) vessel M/V Trisha Kerstin 3 sank off the coast of Basilan, authorities said on Monday.
In an exclusive interview on DZRH News, Basilan Governor Mujiv Hataman said based on the latest Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) data, a total of 317 individuals have been rescued so far.
Hataman added they are still coordinating with the PCG to verify whether the most recently recovered body, believed to be that of a child, is already included in the confirmed fatality count.
The PCG reported that M/V Trisha Kerstin 3 was carrying 332 passengers and 27 crew members at the time of the incident.
The vessel was en route from Zamboanga City to Jolo, Sulu when it encountered trouble and sank near Barangay Baluk-Baluk, Pilas Island, Basilan, approximately 2.75 nautical miles northeast of Baluk-Baluk Island, according to the Coast Guard District Southwestern Mindanao.
The ship departed the Port of Zamboanga City at around 9:20 p.m. on January 25, 2026, and was operating within its authorized maximum capacity of 352 passengers, with authorities stressing that the vessel was "not overloaded."
Hataman said that more than 200 passengers have already been rescued.
Among the fatalities was an infant, who was transported to Zamboanga City along with the child’s parents. The parents survived the incident, but the baby later died. The family had reportedly come from hospitals in Zamboanga and was on its way home to Jolo.
Search and rescue and retrieval operations are ongoing as of 11:00 a.m., Monday, January 26, with the Coast Guard District Southwestern Mindanao continuing search efforts in the waters off Baluk-Baluk Island, Hadji Muhtamad, Basilan, following the sinking of the RoRo vessel.
