DZRH Logo
11 ‘ex-marines’ linked to Zaldy Co cash claims face media, denounce efforts to discredit them
11 ‘ex-marines’ linked to Zaldy Co cash claims face media, denounce efforts to discredit them
Nation
11 ‘ex-marines’ linked to Zaldy Co cash claims face media, denounce efforts to discredit them
by Elijah Gaven Mitra05 March 2026
Photo from RH Edniel Parossa

Eleven of the 18 individuals claiming to be former Marines who earlier alleged involvement as “bagmen” in a supposed flood control fund scheme appeared before the media again on Thursday, this time alongside former lawmaker Mike Defensor.

During a press conference in Pasig City, the group pushed back against what they described as efforts to discredit their testimony and military careers. They insisted that no individual or group had approached or encouraged them to come forward about the alleged irregularities in flood control projects.

The former Marines claim they had knowledge of the alleged delivery of funds to certain government officials in connection with the so-called “flood control mess.” Some of the accusations previously mentioned the name of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., though the claims remain unverified.

Defensor, who had earlier denied being behind the group, attended the briefing and said he was prepared to assist the “Brave 18” in their legal battle if necessary. He also said he was ready to face any complaints that might be filed in connection with the controversy.

Only 10 members of the group appeared publicly, with the others absent due to what they described as security concerns for their families. The group declined to provide further details about the alleged threats but maintained they were willing to testify should they be invited to hearings, including a possible inquiry by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.

Also present at the briefing was former Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff Hermogenes Esperon Jr., although he did not issue any statement.

Meanwhile, the AFP distanced itself from reported support expressed by some retired personnel for the group. AFP spokesperson Francel Padilla clarified in a separate interview at Camp Aguinaldo that such views do not necessarily represent the position of the military or retired officers’ organizations.

Share
listen Live
DZRH News Live Streaming
Home
categories
RHTV Link
Latest
Most Read